No bbq is complete without some shellfish. Freshwater prawns are very popular now and are quick and easy to cook. The sauce here is delicious with the prawns, there is a few odd ingredients but well worth the effort.
- 30 large freshwater prawns, shells still on
- 25g vegetable oil
- 20g lemon grass puree (Barts)
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 220g tinned pineapple chunks in juice whizzed to a puree
- 120g cider vinegar
- 33g palm sugar
- 30g Nam Pla
- 1g red chilli flakes
- 10g starch
- 80g water
- 20g fresh coriander, fresh chopped
- Heat the oil and add the lemon grass, chilli and garlic and soften slightly.
- Add the pineapple, vinegar, Nam Pla and palm sugar and cook for a couple of minutes
- Need to reduce by about 1 third roughly slightly sticky, or until you have a total cooked weight of about 500g.
- Add the starch and water slaked together and cook until thickened.
- Cool then stir in the chopped coriander.
- Pre hat the bar b q until hot.
- Place 5 prawns onto double pronged skewers (this stops them flipping around) then repeat for the other 25 prawns.
- Brush with a little oil.
- Grill on both sides for 3-4 minutes or until nicely pink.
- You can brush the prawns with a little sauce right at the end of their cooking time if you want to.
- Serve with the sauce.