Very similar to the spotted dick recipe, just add plenty and I mean plenty of jam.
Serve with hot custard.
- 225g (8oz) sweet suet pastry
- 185g raspberry jam, good quality
Have ready a 24cm steamer filled with boiling water. This is very important, as soon as the pastry is ready it must be cooked or you will end up with a heavy leaded end product.
- Roll the pastry out until it measures about 30 x 40cm roughly.
- Spread over the jam nice and thickly, there is nothing worse than under filled suet roly poly.
- Roll up nice and lightly then cut in half, so you end up with 2 manageable rolls.
- Tear off 2 pieces of foil roughly the size of the original pastry. Butter well then roll up the very loosely. twist off the ends and repeat with the second roll.
- Place in the steamer and steam until the rolls are tight and firm, about 40 minutes.
- To test just gently squeeze and they should be full and firm. If not then just leave for a few more minutes.
- Leave the rolls to set when cooked for a couple of minutes.
- Open the foil and slice into 4 serve with hot custard.