You'll find yourself coming back again and again to this moist, melt-in-the-mouth recipe. Make it your own, with some interesting varieties. (See top tips below.)
- 40g Golden Syrup
- 110g unsalted butter
- 175g castor sugar
- 160g Moser Roth 85% bitter chocolate
- 4 whole eggs, at room temperature
- 40g plain flour
- 25g sultanas
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 25g chopped white chocolate
- 50mls brandy
- Finely grated zest of 1 large orange
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
- Line a 23cm x 5cm deep tin (approx) with baking parchment or oil the tin well.
- Melt the Golden Syrup, butter, sugar and chocolate together over a pan of simmering water.
- Cool slightly before adding the eggs. Add the flour, fruit, spices, chopped chocolate, brandy and orange zest. Mix well, but do not overwork.
- Pour into the prepared tray, then pop this into the oven and cook for 35-40 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and cool then chill well before cutting.
- Serve at room temperature, or slightly warmed, with vanilla ice cream.