Perfect for Boxing Day, and can be made well in advance.
- 200g cooked, cubed potato
- 200g cubed well roasted squash
- 25g unsalted butter
- 1 red onion chopped in small chunks
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 pinches chilli powder
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 1 level teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large egg plus one egg yolk
- 100 cc full cream milk
- Pre heat the oven to 200C, Gas 6
- Roll the pastry out and carefully line the flan ring.
- Prick well, line with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans and bake blind in a moderate oven until set but having taken no colour, should take about 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking beans and paper, and then brush the hot case with beaten egg and leave to set.
- Cook the onion, coriander, and spices together in the butter until nice and soft but with no colour and spread into the prepared flan case.
- Mix the potato, squash together in a bowl then place on top the onion mixture.
- Whip the egg and egg yolk together along with the milk and season well with salt and pepper
- Pour over the potato and squash mixture and pop in the pre heated oven set, about 20 minutes again.
- Remember to take out of the oven slightly before the pie is set so it does not overcook.
- Serve at room temperature cut into large slices and with a large rocket and Parmesan salad, with a drizzle of olive oil.