Prep Time: 30 mins
Ready in: 15 mins
- 500g good quality sausage meat
- 1 small onion VERY chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- zest and juice 1 large lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
- 4 tbsp chopped cranberries
- 4 tbsp chopped dried apricots
- 4-6 heaped tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- 250g thick sheep yogourt
- 1 bunch fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp runny honey
- 1/3rd small cucumber finely grated
- 500g short crust pastry ready rolled
- salt and pepper
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and cook the onions, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, coriander and chilli together for 10 minutes, then cool.
- Place the meat, spices and onions, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Add the lemon juice and zest herbs and fruit then leave to cool.
- Once cooled add enough breadcrumbs to make a stiff paste.
- Cut the pastry into rectangular strips about 6 inches wide.
- Lay a long thick sausage of the mixture along one side of the pastry.
- Lightly egg the side and fold over the pastry and seal well.
- Glaze well with egg and re chill.
- Pre heat the oven to 180C gas 4.
- Bake in long strips for 20-25 minutes, and once cooked cool slightly before cutting.
- Lightly salt the cucumber and leave in a colander for 15 minutes to remove some of the excess water, rinse and gently squeeze out.
- Add to the thick yogourt, chopped mint and honey, season well and serve with the sausage roll.