A fabulously quick and easy addition to your Christmas plate, guests can't get enough. A perfect balance of sweet and savoury.
- 10 large red onions
- freshly milled black pepper
- 2 tsp castor sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 150g Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C gas 6.
- Place a cake cooling rack into a baking tray, then place the onions onto the cooling rack.
- Cook in the pre heated oven for about 45-50 minutes.
- To check if the onions are cooked, a knife should be able to pass through (the skin included) with very little resistance. Then cool.
- Once cooled, carefully remove the outer leaves until you get to the soft flesh.
- Cut the onions carefully in half lengthways, leaving the root on. Then sprinkle the cut side with a little salt, pepper and sugar.
- Heat the unsalted butter in a non stick frying pan until it starts to brown slightly.
- Place the onions, cut side down gently in the butter until nicely browned.
- Remove from the pan and sprinkle with a little cheese, honey and parsley.