- 1kg parsnips, that's about 6-8 medium ones
- 1kg organic carrots again about 6-8 medium ones
- 115g good beef dripping, goose fat or lard
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp clear, runny honey
- Peel the parsnips and carrots top and tail.
- Split them in half from top to tail, then cut into eighths, leave the core in the parsnips.
- Heat the dripping or fat in a baking tin in a hot oven, 220° C, Gas 7, for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the parsnips and carrots, bring back to the boil and simmer for 1 minute maximum, or, they will start to fall to pieces.
- Drain well, then carefully lay in the very hot dripping, season well with salt and pepper and return to the oven.
- Cook for 25 minutes, then carefully turn over and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes, until crispy on both sides.
- Pour on the honey, and cook for a further 5 minutes to glaze. They will burn very quickly, keep an eye on them.
- Serve piping hot and golden brown.