Prep Time: 10 mins
Ready in: 1 hour 15 mins
- For the meringue
- 5 medium egg white (200g) room temperature
- pinch cream of tartar
- 400g castor sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the Filling
- 250g blueberries
- 250g frozen raspberries, defrosted with juice
- 70g raspberry jam, let down with the raspberry juice from defrost
- finely grated zest 1 large lemon
- 850mls (112 pints) double cream very lightly whipped
- Pre heat the oven to 120° C, Gas 12.
- Place the egg whites and cream of tartar into a mixing bowl and whisk until light and foamy.
- Add half the sugar and whisk well on 34 speed, then finally add the rest of the sugar, whisking until very glossy.
- Remove the bowl from the machine and fold in the cornflour, vanilla and vinegar, then mix well.
- Mark using a dinner or side plate mark a 24cm circle on the parchment or paper, roughly.
- Spoon the meringue into the centre of the circle and using a palette knife or the back of a large spoon, carefully spread to the edge of the circle.
- Try and keep the sides nice and high (remember this will eventually hold a lot of filling and cream) whilst creating an indentation in the centre. It sounds more difficult than it actually is I promise.
- When you are happy, place the tray in the oven and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes, approx
- You will find the meringue will expand quite a lot, slightly colour and will crack, this is normal.
- After the hour check the Pavlova is cooked, it should be firm to the touch, yet if squeezed lightly will crack. This will ensure a soft marshmallowy inside, essential for a good Pavlova. Turn the oven off and leave the Pavlova to cool all night in the oven.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- To serve carefully remove the meringue from the paper and place in the centre of a large serving plate.
- Fold the raspberries, blueberries, jam and juice, lemon zest into the very lightly whipped cream, do not over mix.
- Spoon straight away into the pavlova.
- Dust with icing sugar and chill for 30 minute, then serve with raspberry sauce.