Prep Time: 20 mins
Ready in: 45-50 mins
- For the Pork
- 6 x 140g pork chops
- Rind scored in 1cm slices
- oil, for brushing
- For the Brine
- 30g caster sugar
- 15g salt
- For the Butternut Relish
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 450g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly cubed
- 125ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 175g light brown muscovado sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Glaze
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- New potatoes and green beans to serve
- First, prepare the relish. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the caraway seeds, cloves, onions, garlic and ginger and cook for about 6 - 8 minutes.
- Add the squash, vinegars, Worcestershire sauce and sugar, stir and season well. Cover and cook slowly, until the squash is tender, this should take about 10 minutes. Then remove the lid and cook until pulpy and thick, about 10 minutes.
- To make the brine, place the sugar, salt and 300ml cold water in a small pan and heat until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Pour into a measuring jug and top up to 350ml with cold water.
- Place the chops in a single layer in a non-metallic dish and pour the brine over. Leave to marinate for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium, and brush the chops with a little oil on both sides.
- Combine the maple syrup and olive oil to make the glaze.
- Grill the chops for 5 - 6 minutes on each side then, when just cooked, finally brush with the maple syrup and olive oil mixture. Return to the grill for 1 - 2 minutes, taking care as they will catch very easily.
- Serve with the relish.