Makes: 12 cakes
Prep Time: 20 mins
Ready in: 15/20 mins
- 125g salted butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g castor sugar
- finely grated zest 2 lemons
- 3 room temp medium eggs, beaten well together
- 225g self raising flour, sieved
- 3 tbsp milk
- 6-7 tbsp lemon curd
- For the meringue
- 3 medium egg whites (120g do weigh though)
- pinch cream of tartar
- 240g castor sugar, assuming the whites are 120g (always double the weight of the whites)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- few lemon jelly segments
- Pre heat the oven to 190°C gas 5.
- Beat the soft butter, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla together really well.
- Add 2 tbsp of flour to the mixture and mix in well.
- Add the eggs a little at a time.
- Add the flour, then finally the milk.
- Spoon half of the mixture into 12 paper lined patty tins.
- Add a teaspoon of lemon curd, then top with the other half of the cake mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until well risen and browned.
- Remove and cool.
- Turn the heat up to 220 C gas 7.
- Whisk the whites and cream of tartar until foamy then add half the sugar and continue whisking until glossy and thick, do not overbeat.
- Add the rest of the sugar and whisk for a few seconds.
- Pipe a ring of meringue around the outside of the cup cake.
- Place a teaspoon of lemon curd into the centre, then top with a second rosette of meringue.
- Add a few jelly segments to the meringue and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar.
- Place on a baking tray and place into the hot oven to brown for a couple of minutes.
- Remove, dust with icing sugar and serve cool.