These are great snacks for children, but I also like to eat them with a nice glass of wine! You can add allsorts of flavourings to the corn mixture - cooked fish, pork or even tuna all work well.
- 15g / ½oz butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 125-150ml / 4-5 fl oz milk
- 2 large sweetcorns, as fresh as possible
- A dash Worcestershire sauce
- A dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 slices bread
- 2 slices cooked chicken
- cut into small dice
- 6 slices Gruyere cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the onion and cook slowly for a few minutes..
- Add the flour and mix well then stir in the milk and bring back to the boil, stirring, to make a thick sauce..
- Simmer for 1 minute but do not allow it to catch and burn.
- Cut off the Sweetcorn from the husk by cutting the corn in half then shaving down each side with a sharp knife..
- Add the corn to the sauce along with the Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces, season well and cook for a further minute..
- Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes..
- Add the egg yolk and beat well and allow to cool completely..
- Cover well with cling film then chill.
- Preheat the grill and toast the bread on one side..
- Add the chicken to the cooled sauce then spread over the uncooked side of the bread..
- Top with a slice of Gruyere cheese and put back under the grill until bubbling and browned..
- Cut into triangles and serve.