Easter is literally just around the corner, so, here is a great way to enjoy even more Hot Cross Buns.
- 4 hot cross buns, sliced in half
- 800mls milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 75g castor sugar
- 100g grated bitter chocolate
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 4 tbsp any chocolate spread
- vanilla ice cream (Carte D’or)
- thick cream
- Set the oven to 160C, gas 3-4.
- Boil the milk, cream and zest together, then add the grated chocolate and leave to infuse 10 minutes, whisk until the chocolate is melted
- Next, spread the chocolate spread over 4 of the hot cross buns halves.
- Place the bottom of the bun into a 10cm x 5cm deep ovenproof cup or ramequin.
- Place the egg yolks, castor sugar and nutmeg together and whisk until smooth and pale.
- Pour on the boiled milk mixture and whisk well.
- Half fill the cups covering the bun base, and then place the cups in a deep oven tray.
- Then add the top of the bun, and then fill right up with the chocolate custard.
- Press down lightly with a potato masher so the buns are really well soaked.
- Leave for 5 minutes, then top up again with the remaining custard, and again press down lightly.
- Half fill with boiling water and then cover with foil and pop the tray into the oven.
- Cook until just set in the middle, about 20-25 minutes. They should just wobble slightly.
- Remove the tray from the oven and lift out and cool for 15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, top with a ball of vanilla ice cream and dust with a little icing sugar and cocoa powder.
- Jugs of thick cream are nice to serve with this pudding.