Prep Time: 35 mins
Ready in: 45 mins
- 8 boneless chicken thighs, skinned
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tsp ground turmeric or large pinch saffron
- 70g butter, very soft
- 70g plain flour
- 200g frozen peas, defrosted, strained
- 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp whipping cream (optional)
- pinch salt
- gold leaf (optional)
- Place the chicken thighs, stock cubes, turmeric or saffron, into a saucepan and just cover with water.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and JUST falling apart with a little resistance.
- Once cooked, strain the chicken off and measure the liquid that’s left you will need a roughly a pint.
- Mix the soft flour and butter together really well.
- Place the stock back into the pan and bring to the boil, once simmering whisk the flour and butter mixture in and re boil until you have a thick sauce, this is known as a veloute.
- Check the seasoning and adjust.
- Roughly pull the chicken apart and add to the veloute, then add the peas, tarragon and finally the egg yolks when the mix has cooled for a few minutes.
- If you can chill at this point all the better, best overnight to tighten up the mix.
- Cut the pastry into 2/3rd and 1/3rd then roll out the 2/3rd piece to fit a 24cm x 3-4cm deep loose bottomed flan ring.
- Line well and leave a nice lip on the top.
- Re mix the cold filling and spoon into the pastry base.
- Roll out the top and brush the top lip with beaten egg.
- Lay the top onto the base and seal and decorate.
- Mix the egg yolk and cream if using together and add a pinch of salt (this will help to brown evenly and deeper colour) Brush over well. Next add gold leaf and stick down on the egg.
- Make a small incision in the centre of the pie and bake on a metal tray in a pre heated oven 180C gas 4 for 35-40 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to set for 10 minutes.
- Cut and serve.