This idea I modelled on a burger bun, the secret is to get all the flat mushrooms the same size, and cut everything to fit in the bun so when its finally chilled it will look very impressive.
- Medium sized flat mushrooms
- 4 tbspns Olive oil
- 8 ½ cm slices of Port Salut cheese
- 2 Ripe beef tomatoes
- 4 slices of ham, cooked on the bone then sliced
- 2 tbspns English mustard
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 4 Leaves of fresh basil
- Pre heat the grill to its hottest setting.
- Cut the stalks out of the mushrooms, season well with salt and pepper. Drizzle over the olive oil and cook under the hot grill for 5-6 minutes each side. Do not over cook.
- When cooked leave to cool slightly.
- Take a plain cutter the same size as the flat mushrooms, then proceed to cut the ham, cheese, the same size as the flat mushrooms.
- Cut the ripe tomatoes into roughly the same size as well.
- Place1 mushroom open side up on a chopping board. Top with a layer of ham, season well with salt and pepper and a touch of mustard.
- Then add further layers of cheese and then tomato seasoning all the time, finally add the basil leaf and top with the flat mushroom.
- Press lightly, and wrap each 'bun' in cling film and chill overnight.
- To eat, cut into ¼'s and skewer with fancy cocktail sticks.