This is comfort food at its very best. Easy Mince Hotpot is perfect for when there's a chill in the air and the family need something hot, nourishing and full of taste.
- 500g Premium Lean Steak mince
- 1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 200g mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 pot of basil, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 level tbsp Quixo beef granules
- 2 small onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp brown sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- For the Cobbler Topping (12-14 small scones)
- 25g unsalted butter 1 medium egg, beaten
- 225g self-raising flour 2 heaped tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard Pinch of salt & 4-5 tbsp milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
- Heat the 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a 25cm x 20cm deep casserole dish.
- Add the chopped onions, garlic and mushrooms and cook over a high heat for 10 minutes, to get heat into the dish.
- Add the mince, break it up well and cook until it changes from red to fawny colour.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil, granules, brown sauce and mix really well then simmer slowly for 20 minutes.
- Top with the mini cobblers, turn the heat down until it's at its lowest setting.
- Cover and warm the topping through, for about 10 minutes. Uncover and serve.
For the Cobbler Topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7.
- Rub the butter and salt into the flour lightly.
- Add the oregano.
- Add the egg, mustard and half the milk and mix very lightly until you have a soft dough, do not overwork. Add a little extra milk if needed.
- Roll out carefully until the dough is 1cm thick.
- Cut out with a small plain cutter and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with a little milk and a sprinkling of black pepper.
- Cook in the pre-heated oven until well risen and golden, about 10-12 minutes.