I like sausage rolls when they are not soggy, fatty and undercooked. So here is a recipe you can depend upon
- For the Pastry
- 500g ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- For the Filling
- 500g good quality sausage meat, not to fatty, say 15-20% is perfect
- 75g finely chopped dried apricots, finely chopped
- 75g finely chopped medjool dates
- 100g finely chopped chestnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C gas 6.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the filling together well and set aside.
- Place the sheets of pastry on a board and cut 5cm wide strips. Then brush the strips well with the beaten egg.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the sausage meat mix onto the strips, slightly to one side. Fold over the pastry and seal the edge well. Brush again with beaten egg, then chill well.
- Cut into small rolls and cook until browned, crisp and cooked through.