Makes: 1 x triple sandwich cake
Prep Time: 20 mins
Ready in: 1 hour
- 225g soft stork
- 225g castor sugar
- 225g sieved plain flour
- 50g sieved cocoa powder
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- 4 medium eggs, at room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 x 75g packet instant custard
- 300g white chocolate, finely chopped
- 150g chopped bitter chocolate, finely chopped
- 250g cherries in syrup, drained well
- 1 pint lightly whipped double cream, with a little icing sugar to taste
- chopped flakes
- chocolate vermicelli
- Pre heat the oven to 180° C gas 4.
- Beat the Stork and sugar together until nice and creamy.
- Add 2 beaten eggs and beat again.
- Add the other 2 eggs, sieved flour and cocoa and baking powders and fold through carefully.
- Divide between 3, 8 inch sandwich tins, then bake for 15-20 minutes, or until well risen and cooked through, then cool.
- Divide the instant custard into 2 clean bowls (35g each), and then pour 150mls of boiling water onto each, whisking well.
- Add the chopped chocolates to each custard, and whisk well to dissolve completely, and then cool until thickened.
- Spread over the plain chocolate custard onto one of the sponges, and then sprinkle with a few cherries and a little whipped cream.
- Top with the second sponge, then top with the white chocolate sponge and sprinkle with a few more cherries and a little whipped cream
- Top with the final sponge and press down lightly.
- Pipe the whipped cream nicely around the cake, then top with the last few cherries and flakes, dust well with icing sugar, silver or gold leaf and chocolate vermicelli and flakes