Prep Time: 15 mins
Ready in: 35-40 mins
- 5 medium Bramley apples (750g)
- Juice and finely grated zest of 2 large lemons
- 1 large rectangular brioche loaf, slightly stale
- 200g Rodda’s clotted cream
- 1 x 397g tin thick (condensed milk) caramel sauce
- 4 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 100g finely chopped bitter chocolate
- Pre heat the oven to 200ᵒC/gas mark 6.
- Peel, core and cook the Bramley apples in the lemon juice until you have a very thick stew, add brown sugar if you wish.
- Cut the brioche in 5 even slices horizontally.
- Spread the clotted cream and caramel over 4 brioche slices evenly, leaving the top crust clean.
- Sprinkle over the finely chopped chocolate.
- Next layer up all 4 slices with just over half the Bramley apple stew, chill the rest.
- Stack up and place the crust on top.
- Then wrap tightly in foil, pressing down quite firmly, so you compact the slices well, but don’t go mad.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and press together well again.
- Wrap the whole package in clean foil, cool and chill well, this is best done overnight.
- Next day, remove from the fridge and remove the foil.
- Serve in thick slices with perhaps a little more clotted cream and more of the stewed apple.