Mirin is not normally associated with a traditional Christmas lunch, but is a great seasoning and really bring out the flavour of carrots.
- 500g carrots
- 500g swede, roughly
- 115g unsalted butter, softened but not melted
- juice of 2 lemon
- 3-4 tbsp Mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Cut the carrots and swede into smallish pieces.
- Cook in plenty of boiling, salted water, until well cooked.
- Crush with a potato masher until you have nice puree.
- Add the butter and lemon at this point.
- Spoon into a bowl and check the seasoning.
- Add the mirin, soy and seasoning.
- Finally add the chopped parsley.
- Keep warm.