Hot cross buns like your Mum probably never used to make. Comfort food doesn't get any more comfy. Serve with a big dollop of ice cream and a generous sprinkling of berry fruits.
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 200mls semi-skimmed milk
- 55g caster sugar
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 2 hot cross buns, halved
- 55g unsalted butter
- To make the custard, mix the eggs, milk, sugar and mixed spice together thoroughly.
- Pop the hot cross buns into a shallow tray making sure that they sit nicely and tightly together cut side down.
- Pour over the egg mixture and leave to soak for 5-6 minutes, pressing down lightly with a fork.
- Carefully turn occasionally, as they soak up the mixture the buns will become heavy and soggy, do not over-soak.
- To cook, warm up a large nonstick frying pan, then add the butter.
- Once foaming, pop the halved buns cut side down into the pan.
- Cook so the bottoms are slightly brown and set.
- Then turn over and continue to cook until they are just cooked through and just set, so you end up with a soft centre.
- Remove and keep warm.
- To serve, place onto four warm plates and top with a large ball of caramel ice cream on top of each half.