Carnation condensed milk gives the perfect texture and traditional flavour to your fudge. Box them up and give them to your friends at Christmas and everyone will be asking you for the recipe!
- 397g can Carnation Condensed Milk
- 150ml (1/4 pint) milk
- 450g (1lb) demerara sugar
- 115g (4oz) butter
- 150g (5oz) dark chocolate chopped and 85g (3oz) toasted hazlenuts
- 150g (5oz) raisins soaked in 3tbsp rum (until they have absorbed the rum)
- Optional ingredients:
- 150g (5oz) glace cherries halved
- 55g (2oz) stem ginger, choppped
- Grease and baseline a 20cm (8 inch) square tin with baking parchment.
- Heat the milks, sugar and butter in a large, non-stick saucepan over a low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Bring to the boil and simmer over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring continuously and scraping the base of the pan, until a soft ball of fudge is formed when a little of the mixture is dropped into a jug of ice-cold water.
- Remove from the heat and beat the fudge until thick and grainy (about 10 minutes).
- Gently stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour into the prepared tin and leave to cool before cutting into squares.