Make the sauce by placing the butter, sugar, treacle and cream together into a saucepan and bring to the boil, whisk well until you have a thick butterscotch sauce.
Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 5, 190 C.
- Mix the baking powder and flour together and sieve well.
- Pour the boiling water over the fruit and add the black treacle, stir well.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Next add the beaten the egg in small amounts along with the vanilla.
- Add 2 tbsp sifted flour to the creamed butter.
- Carefully mix in the rest of the flour, do not overwork or the sponge will be chewy.
- Gently mix in the chopped dates, sultanas, boiling water and treacle.
- Pour into a well buttered 30cm square dish.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until well risen and cooked through.
- I pour a little sauce over the sponge and return to the oven for 5 minutes to bubble slightly.
- This is very important, serve with PLENTY of sauce (chefs never serve enough, it should come halfway up the pudding in the bowl) thick double cream and vanilla ice cream (Carte D’Or)