This classic combination is the perfect summer lunch or supper pudding. The secret is not to over stir the mixture when combining all the ingredients, so you see the beautiful colours and textures. The best part is the rose petal syrup _ the rose flavour works beautifully with ripe summer strawberries. Always pick roses when the weather is sunny, and after the dew has evaporated, to guarantee the most wonderful perfume.
- 2 (pink) roses, perfumed if possible
- 1tbsp rosewater
- juice of 2 lemons
- 3tbsp icing sugar
- 200g (7oz) Carnation Condensed Milk Light
- few drops of vanilla extract
- 300ml carton whipping cream, lightly whipped
- 400g (14oz) English strawberries, hulled and cut into quarters
- 6 small meringues or meringue nests, crushed, but not too small
- Pick the rose petals from the stalks.
- Roughly chop, place in a small bowl with the rosewater, lemon juice and icing sugar, and leave for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Using a hand blender, whizz the mixture to a loose purée, leaving small pieces of rose petal visible.
- In a large bowl, fold together the condensed milk, vanilla extract and whipping cream, then gently fold in the strawberries.
- Place a layer of crushed meringue in the bottom of a large glass bowl or in six individual glasses. Spoon over a little of the strawberry cream mixture, followed by a little rose petal purée.
- Repeat the layers, finishing with crushed meringues.