- 50ml tarragon vinegar
- 50ml white wine, or water
- 1 tsp crushed white peppercorns
- 4 tbsp chopped tarragon stalks
- 175g unsalted butter
- 4 egg yolks
- half a lemon
- pinch of caster sugar
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the vinegar and wine or water in a pan with the peppercorns and stalks, bring to the oil and simmer rapidly until the liquid has reduced by half to 50ml.
- Strain out the peppercorns and stalks then return the liquid to the pan and bring back to the boil.
- Meanwhile, gently melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the reduced liquid and bring to a rolling boil.
- Place the egg yolks in a liquidiser and blitz, then gradually add the vinegar and butter mixture into the liquidiser in a thins stream, through the lid.
- Pour sauce into a bowl and leave for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally and hey presto, thick cooked bearnaise sauce.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning adding a squeeze of lemon juice, pinch of sugar if necessary and the chopped tarragon. Keep warm