Totally indulgent treats, perfect for bonfire night.
- 1 small can pineapple rings drained (Del Monte), cut into quarters
- zest of 1 lemon finely grated
- For the Sauce
- 300ml cold water
- 100g good quality cocoa powder
- 120g caster sugar
- 40g cold salted butter, cubed
- For the Batter
- 225g self-raising flour
- about 425ml fizzy water
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- caster sugar, to sprinkle
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- allspice for dusting
- Place the pineapple wedges into a bowl, sprinkle over the lemon zest.
- For the chocolate sauce place the water into a pan and add the cocoa powder and sugar, whisk to the boil
- Simmer for 2 minutes then take off the heat and whisk in the butter until dissolved. Strain through a sieve and keep warm.
- Place the flour in a large bowl then whisk in enough fizzy water to make a thick batter (about the same consistency as Yorkshire pudding batter)
- Mix in the allspice and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Pat dry the pineapple on kitchen paper then dust in a little cornflour.
- Dip in the batter to coat.
- Gently fry in shallow oil 180°C, until crisp and lightly browned.
- Cooking in batches, drop the pineapple carefully into the hot oil and cook until golden and crispy.
- Drain well on kitchen paper and sprinkle with caster sugar and allspice.