Try these soft Indian sweets scented with orange ...
- For the sugar syrup
- 375g (13oz) sugar
- 250ml (9fl oz) water
- 1tsp orange essence
- 300g (10½oz) plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 200g (7oz) Carnation Squeezy Condensed Milk
- ghee or ground nut oil to fry
- To finish
- a sprinkling of toasted desiccated coconut
- Make a thin syrup, by boiling the sugar and water together for a few minutes, allow to cool then stir in the orange essence.
- Sift together the dry ingredients into a bowl and stir in enough of the condensed milk to form a soft dough.
- Shape the dough into small sausages approximately 2cm (¾") in length then fry gently in a pan of hot oil. You should aim to cook 3-4 jamuns at a time as they expand during cooking. Do not allow the oil to over heat as the jamuns will cook too quickly on the outside but not be cooked through in the middle.
- Drain the jamuns on kitchen paper then place into the orange syrup. Serve hot or cold with toasted coconut, to finish.