One of our most requested recipes ... decadent layers of shortbread, caramel and chocolate ...
- 200g (7oz) shortbread biscuits, crushed
- 25g (1oz) butter, melted
- 150g (5½ oz) butter
- 150g (5½ oz) dark brown soft sugar
- 397g can Carnation Condensed Milk
- Topping: 200g (7oz) milk or dark chocolate, melted
- You will also need:
- 18cm (7in) square brownie tin, lined with baking parchment.
- Mix the crushed biscuits with the melted butter and then lightly press the mixture into the tin to make an even layer. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Place the butter and sugar into a non-stick pan and stir over a medium heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- To make a golden caramel, add the condensed milk, stirring continuously, until the first bubbles appear on the surface.
- Remove from the heat as soon as it comes to the boil.
- Spread the caramel evenly over the crumb base and then cool and chill for about half an hour.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel, smoothing to the edges.
- When the chocolate has hardened a little, cut into squares.