Chips, what else is there to say, crisp and golden on the outside and fluffy and light on the inside.
- 500g of potatoes King Edward, Maris Piper, Red Rooster, Wilja, Marfona.
- Groundnut oil, Safflower or Sunflower oil to fry in
- salt & vinegar to taste
- Peel and wash the potatoes well, then cut into fingers say 1.5cm wide.
- Re wash and dry well in kitchen paper or towel.
- Heat the oil to 190C leave for 10 minutes then reduce to 175C. Never fill a fryer more than 2/3rds full.
- Plunge small amounts of chips into the oil and cook for 3-4 minutes to soften, but with no colour.
- Shake off the excess oil and cool on a tray, not piled up.
- Repeat until all are done. You can chill at this point.
- When ready to serve turn up the oil to 185-190C.
- Cook in small batches until crisp and golden, drain well and season well with salt and vinegar if you like.