What could be better on a cold and frosty day than digging into a steaming bowl lamb hot pot with a thick slice if warm crusty bread to mop up all those juices. Perfect!
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 800g boneless chicken thighs, without skin
- 3-4 tbsp flour
- 100g cubed pancetta or bacon lardons
- 2 small onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small leek, finely chopped and washed really well
- 1 small swede, peeled and roughly chopped
- 600mls boiling water
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced in ½ cm pieces, blanched in boiling water for 3-4 minutes
- 3-4 tbsp melted butter, roughly
- ½ tsp pepper hot pot
- Preheat the oven to 190° Gas mark 4
- Heat the oil in a 25cm x 12cm deep saucepan then add the chicken and bacon lardons, brown really well - this will take a few minutes, then remove.
- Next add the vegetables and stir well, add the flour to soak up any excess fat from the meat then add the boiling water and sprinkle in the stock cube and the thyme.
- Spoon out half the vegetables into a bowl. Top the other half of vegetables with the chicken, then spoon the rest of the vegetables back on top to cover.
- Lay the par-boiled potato slices over the chicken and vegetables overlapping slightly, and press down. Glaze with butter then dust well with pepper.
- Place into the pre-heated oven and cook for about 40 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and serve.