- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 55g/2oz chopped onion
- 150ml/½ pint red wine
- 150ml/½ pint water
- 2 tsp mild curry paste
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- About 425ml/15fl oz mayonnaise
- 1 tsp apricot jam
- 2 tsp chopped fresh chives or parsley
- 25g/1oz sesame seeds
- 350g/12oz cooked chicken,or smoked chicken
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a small pan, add the chopped onion and cook gently until softened but do not allow to brown.
- Add the wine, water, curry paste and tomato puree and bring to the boil then simmer rapidly until reduced to a thick sauce. Allow to cool.
- Place the mayo in a bowl with the jam, chives or parsley and sesame seeds and stir together well.
- Add the red wine mixture and chicken and season.
- To serve, spoon the chicken over the chopped lettuce and toss well to mix. Serve with crusty bread and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.