I like sausage rolls when they are not soggy, fatty and undercooked. So here is a recipe you can depend upon
- 500g ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- For the Filling
- 500g sausage meat
- 150g finely chopped dried apricots, finely chopped
- 100g finely chopped chestnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl and mix together well.
- Place the sheets of pastry on a board and cut into 5cm wide strips. Brush well with beaten egg.
- Using a pipping bag, pip the sausage meat onto the pastry strips, slightly to one side. Fold over and seal the edge well. Brush again with beaten egg, then chill well.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 200ºC/Gas 6.
- Cut the long rolls into 24 small rolls. Place on a baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until browned, crisp and cooked through.