Makes: enough for a 5kg bird
Prep Time: 15 mintues
Ready in: 10 mins
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp allspice
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 750g good quality sausage meat
- 200g Christmas cake, no icing or marzipan, crumbled
- about 8 tbsp natural dried breadcrumbs
- 2 whole medium eggs
- 150g dried cranberries
- zest 1 large lemon
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions, allspice and garlic and cook for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the sausage meat and stir well.
- Just break down the sausage meat but do not actually cook it through.
- Then cool slightly, add enough bread crumbs to stiffen up the mixture, but remember that they will continue to thicken as they reconstitute themselves so take care not to add too many.
- Stir in the whole eggs and cranberries and beat the whole mixture well.
- Finally add the Christmas pudding and some salt and pepper.
- Stuff the bird when required or bake separately.