This recipe really came about because the kids will not eat Christmas cake or pudding, but, made into an ice cream or parfait, they love it. It's a brilliant way to use up leftover cake or pudding. At other times of the year, any kind of fruit cake will make an excellent substitute.
- 397g can Carnation Condensed Milk
- 450ml (3/4pt) single cream
- 200ml carton crème fraîche
- tbsp vanilla extract
- 3tbsp brandy
- 450g (1lb) Christmas cake
- crumbled cranberry compote, to finish (optional)
- to finish (optional)
- You will also need: A 900g (2lb) pudding basin
- Line the pudding basin with a double layer of cling film. In a large bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, cream, crème fraîche, vanilla extract and brandy until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow plastic box and freeze until slushy (2 inch“3 hours). Beat with a fork, then stir in the crumbled Christmas cake.
- Pour into the pudding basin, cover and freeze overnight.
- When ready to serve, turn out the parfait onto a serving plate and remove the cling film.
- Accompany with a spoonful of cranberry compote: fresh cranberries simmered until sticky in a syrup of sugar and water.