- Makes: 9 to 10
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Ready in: 45 mins
- 175g unsalted butter, cubed
- 250g milk chocolate
- 1 heaped tspn coffee granules,
let down with 1 tbspn hot water
- let down with 1 tbspn hot water
- 290g plain flour
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 2 pinches salt
- 3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 325g castor sugar
- 175g toasted hazelnuts, crushed
- Pre heat the oven to 180° C, Gas 4.
- Brush a 23cm square baking dish with melted butter and sprinkle with a little flour.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together.
- Place the butter, chocolate and coffee into a bowl and melt over a pan of gently simmering water.
- Meanwhile beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla at high speed for about 2 minutes, add the melted chocolate mixture slowly and mix well.
- Finally add the flour, baking powder, salt and crushed hazelnuts and mix slowly until incorporated. Do not overwork.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake in the pre heated oven for about 45-50 minutes or until risen and set. When a knife is inserted the blade should come out very slightly uncooked.
- The brownie should be very moist and soft.
- Cool, then turn out, cut into small squares and dust heavily with icing sugar. These can then be re heated gently in a microwave or eaten cold.
- Serve with fudge sauce and ice cream or thick double cream.