- Makes: 4 portions
- Prep Time: 25-25 mins
- Ready in: 10 mins
- 500g cold mashed potato, no milk or butter
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 leek, trimmed, washed chopped and cooked in a little butter or oil
- About 10 medium sized Brussel Sprouts, (or the equivalent well cooked cabbage or kale) chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- plain flour
- Mix the cold potato, Brussels, leek and egg yolk together well.
- Add salt and pepper, the mixture should be quite dry and firm.
- Mould into 4 cakes do not make them too thin or its difficult to turn them over when cooking.
- Heat the veg oil in a frying pan, flour on both sides and carefully lay in the 4 bubbles, cook nice and slowly until golden and then flip over with a fish slice or pallette knife, cook for a further 5-6 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with a poached egg and pickled walnuts.