Carnation Caramel makes the easiest base for oaty flapjack style treats.
- 300g (10oz) eating apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 397g can Carnation Caramel
- 200g (7oz) porridge oats
- 2tsp cinnamon (optional)
- For the crumbly topping:
- 55g (2oz) porridge oats
- 15g (½oz) butter, finely cubed
- 55g (2oz) toasted flaked almonds
- 300g (11oz) fresh or frozen forest fruits
- You will also need a 18 x 28cm (8 x 11) baking tin, lined with baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
- Tip the apple into a saucepan with 6 tablespoons of water, cover with a lid and cook until soft (about 5-6 minutes). Drain the excess water and puree in a blender or mash with a potato masher.
- Tip 200g (7oz) of the oats and the cinnamon into a large bowl and add the cooked apple and two-thirds of the caramel. Mix well.
- For the base: spread two-thirds of the oat mixture onto the base of the tin and push into the corners with the back of a spoon for a completely smooth layer.
- Tumble the berries on top of the base. Beat the caramel in the can then drizzle over the berries.Make a crumbly topping: add 55g (2oz) oats to the remaining mixture in the bowl and mix well.
- Using your fingers rub in the butter (it gets a little messy!).
- Add the almonds and stir together.
- Dot the final oat mixture over the berries and press down slightly to stick all the layers together. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Enjoy with a blob of Greek yogurt or clotted cream.