Barbecuing is great fun; don't let the typical British weather put you off. No barbecue is complete without a chicken dish of some sort and Beer Can Chicken is dead simple, a beer can stuffed inside a chicken with lots of spices and cooked over a covered barbecue to give you delicious succulent chicken. You can just as easily cook this in your oven if you don't have a covered barbecue.
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp celery salt
- Open the can and tip away half the beer, or save it for later, then with an old-fashioned can opener just make two extra holes and put in two teaspoons of the spice mix and gently mix it.
- Now comes the tricky part, put the can in the centre of a foil tray and place the open end of the chicken over the can and this is the most important part, pull the legs out so you form a nice little tripod to stop the chicken falling over.
- Next take the rest of the spice rub and gently rub it over the chicken.
- Place chicken into a pre-heated barbecue, a gas one with a lid is ideal because it's easy to control the temperature but as long as you can cover the chicken, any barbecue will work.
- Every so often, baste the chicken with its own juice.