All the ingredients for the sauce here are rough approximations; you can add more of less to suit your tastes. All the fish I used had been freshly cooked.
- 12 small shell off fresh water prawns
- 8 large whole freshwater prawns
- 1 large crab
- 6 King crab claws, cracked
- 2 lobster tails, cracked or peeled
- 6 Moreton Bay Bugs (crab, langoustine or lobster if you can’t get bugs)
- Dipping Sauce
- 50g fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 red chilies
- 75mls soy sauce
- 75mls mirin
- 75mls rice wine vinegar
- few pinches sugar
- 1 small bunch Thai basil, roughly chopped
- 150g carrot strips
- 100g hot radish strips
- 200g bean sprouts
- 100g cooked rice noodles
- 12 fresh oysters
- 4 large limes
- Pre-cook all the shellfish first.
- Season well then grill gently, brushing with oil occasionally.
- Place all the ingredients for the dip into a bowl and really mix well.
- Layer up the shellfish, carrots, bean sprouts and noodles.
- Pour over a little of the sauce, serve the rest alongside.
- Add fresh oysters and halves of lime.
- Crusty bread is all you need.