- 55g unsalted butter
- 3 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 225g grated extra strong Cheddar cheese
- 225g good quality mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- 3 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas 4.
- Heat the butter in a pan, add the onions and garlic and cook gently for about 15 minutes to soften.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Cheddar, mayonnaise, Tabasco and Worcester sauces and sugar and finally a good seasoning of salt and ground pepper.
- Place into a 22cm square 3-4cm deep ceramic baking dish, sprinkle liberally and evenly with the paprika. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly, this should be eaten warm, not hot.
- Serve with crackers, slices of crunchy bread or breadsticks.