Prep Time: 10 mins
Ready in: 6-8 mins
- 2 x 200g pieces of venison loin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 glasses red wine
- 600ml / 1 pint strong venison or game stock
- 1 small glass or 6 tbsp cassis
- 10g unsalted butter
- 200g frozen blackcurrants, defrosted, they produce and better colour and will release more flavour than fresh
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220, Gas 7.
- Season the loins well with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan.
- Add the venison and brown well on both sides.
- Then pop into the hot oven, cook for 5-6 minutes, then remove the pan for the oven.
- Place the venison onto a warm plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for 6-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, tip any oil from the pan, then add the wine and boil rapidly over a high heat.
- When nearly reduced, add the stock and again reduce rapidly, until you have a nice, thickened sauce.
- Add the cassis and butter and whisk well, taste and adjust the seasoning, then strain through a fine sieve into a clean pan.
- Add a few defrosted blackcurrants, and stir well.
- Slice the rested loins and drain well on kitchen paper, place onto a warm plate, spoon over the sauce with a few blackcurrants.