- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ bottle red wine (Shiraz or Pinot Noir)
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 spoon redcurrant jelly
- 1 pint 575mls strong gluten-free chicken stock
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- slaked with 4 tbsp cold water
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Heat the vegetable oil in saucepan, and add the onions and garlic and really brown well.
- Cook over a fairly high heat until they are well coloured, about 15 minutes.
- Add the red wine and boil for 2 minutes, then add the stock, thyme and jelly.
- Bring back to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced by about half.
- Carefully thicken with half the cornflour and water mixture until you have a nice sauce consistency.
- Do not over thicken, you can always add a little more later.
- Season well with salt and pepper, you may want to add a touch more jelly.
- Strain through a fine sieve and keep warm.