Pears are sublime at the peak of their season and readily available any time of year. This light dessert satisfies one of your 5-a-day servings, as well as providing a source of fibre and potassium. Simply poached in cranberry and grape juices the pears take on a subtle flush of colour.
|MED fat||LOW sat fat||LOW sugars||LOW salt|
- 600g (total prepared weight) mixed vegetables
- for example:
- -- 100g red onions
- -- 350g deseeded yellow, red and orange peppers
- -- 100g courgettes
- -- 1 small carrot, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, left whole and unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- a handful of fresh basil leaves, shredded
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 7.
- Cut the prepared vegetables into chunks of a similar size so that they cook evenly. Spread all the vegetables out in a large roasting dish, then add the garlic cloves. Drizzle over the olive oil and turn the vegetables to coat all over.
- Roast for about 40–50 minutes until the veg are tender (but not too soft) and beginning to colour at the edges. Turn the vegetables over halfway through the cooking time and let the steam out of the oven.
- Remove the dish from the oven and season with black pepper. Carefully (as it will be hot) squeeze the roasted garlic from its skin and mix the pulp into the roasted vegetables. Stir in the basil and serve.