My mum always made lovely rock cakes. They seem to have gone out of fashion these days, which is a shame. The great thing about them is you don’t have to be too precise.
- 225g gluten-free flour mix A
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 115g salted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 80g caster sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 100g juicy sultanas
- 20g chopped milk chocolate
- 20g chopped bitter chocolate
- 20g chopped white chocolate
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Rub the flour mix, baking powder, butter and xanthan gum together in a bowl, taking care not to overwork the mixture. Stir in the sugar, orange zest, sultanas and all the chocolate.
- Add the eggs and bring together to form a dough – clean hands are best for this job. Pile 12 equal-sized mounds on to the prepared baking sheets – no need to be too neat here.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.