A nice easy soup, that will freeze easily and can be made well in advance.
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1.4kg sweet potatoes peeled and roughly
chopped but fairly small
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and chopped the
same size as the sweet potatoes
- 2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 10g vegetable stock cube
- 2 litres cold water
- 200ml double cream
- 1 pack part-baked rolls
- cut into 8-12 slices
- 150g West Country Cheddar, grated
- 4 tbsp heaped mango chutney
- Heat the oil, then add the onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes to give a little colour.
- Next add the potatoes, apples, stock and water, and bring to the boil. Season well with salt and pepper, then turn down the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked and very soft, mash roughly with a potato masher, until you have a thickish chunky purée. This will thicken considerably.
- Add the cream and mango chutney. Check the seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Meanwhile, cut the rolls into diagonal slices and toast on one side.
- Turn over and sprinkle generously with the grated cheese. Return to the grill until the cheese melts.
- Serve the soup in deep bowls with two cheddar croutons on top.
- This soup will freeze well without the cream. Defrost, boil then add the cream.