- 70g blended butter
- 450g self-raising flour
- 70g caster sugar
- 50g raisins, optional
- 150mls semi-skimmed milk
- Extra milk for glazing the scones
- 6-7 tbsps strawberry jam
- ½ pint double cream, very lightly whipped
- 500g strawberries, washed, hulled and cut in half
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
- Carefully rub the butter into the flour, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Next, add the caster sugar and raisins (if you are adding) then mix well but lightly, and then add enough milk to form a soft dough.
- Handle gently, and turn out onto a floured surface, knead slightly, then roll out with a rolling pin, to about 2-3 cm thick.
- Using a plain or fluted 6cm cutter, cut out 10 scones, there will be a little mixture left, re-roll and cut out two further scones.
- Place on a parchment lined baking tray and leave to rise for 10 minutes.
- When ready, brush each one with a little milk and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or so until well browned and risen, then remove from the oven and cool.
- To serve, cut each scone in half, place ½ tbsp of jam onto each half and then top with cream and finally two halves of strawberry.