Simple recipe, the marinade is used to get flavour into the prawns, and also as a finished sauce.
Remember to oil the hot bars well.
- 1x 400g can pineapple in juice whizzed to a puree
- 2 tbsp Nam Pla
- juice and zest 4 large limes
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- pinch or 2 of salt
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 pinches chilli powder
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh Thai sweet or normal basil
- 20 freshwater prawns, shell off, but leave the tails on
- Place the pineapple, Nam Pla, lime juice and zest, crushed garlic, pepper, salt, palm sugar, oil and chilli powder into a bowl and really mix well.
- Remove half the marinade and chill well separatly.
- Add the prawns to the remainder and really mix well, then cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Heat the bar b que, to a high heat, oil the bars well with a little oil and kitchen towel.
- Remove the prawns from the marinade, pat the excess off and place directly onto the bars.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, do not overcook.
- Once well coloured, remove and place into a deep bowl.
- Spoon over the reserved marinade, add the basil and mix well and serve.