- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped into 3cm (1in) pieces
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped into 3cm (1in) pieces
- 2 courgettes, cut into 2cm (¾in) pieces
- 1 aubergine, cut into 3cm (1in) pieces
- 6 tbsps olive oil, plus an extra drizzle
- 2 small onions, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1x400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 6 fresh plum tomatoes, cut into
- quarters and seeds removed
- 4 tbsps chopped basil
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add plenty of salt and re-boil. One by one, add the peppers, courgettes and aubergine then re-boil for 1 minute and refresh in cold water.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the chopped onions and garlic then cook for 3 minutes until they take a little colour. Add the par-boiled veg and tinned tomatoes then cook for 20 minutes until well reduced.
- Add the rest of the olive oil, the fresh tomatoes and basil then just warm through.
- Serve with the sliced leg of lamb. Trust me, this works really well with it.