You either love them, or you can’t stand the sight of them. I think are really tasty, not only are they good for the real Christmas lunch, but they are an absolute must for Boxing Day bubble and squeak. This is one of only two vegetables that I recommend to be well cooked, the other is potatoes. They can be prepared the day before ready for cooking.
You can add a little bacon or Pancetta to the mix if you want.
- 700g sprouts, tightly closed and brilliant green, trimmed
- 20g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 tbsp green ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp whole coriander crushed
- pinch chilli powder
- 150g whole unblanched almonds, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Cook the sprouts in plenty of boiling water, until soft in the centre, about 10 minutes.
- Cool under cold water then drain well. This can be done a few hours before.
- Next, heat the butter and oil together and add the onion, ginger, coriander and chilli then cook for 5-6 minutes to soften slightly.
- Next add the almonds and warm through do not burn.
- When you come to serve, there is only one way to warm them up, pop them in the microwave.
- Turn into the pan with the ginger and almonds and coat really well.
- Season with a little salt and pepper and serve.